Tuesday 24 December 2013

'The Yuletide 24 2013' Part 2 (Hertford Soul's Songs of the Year)

So there we have it, my songs of the year have been revealed. For those of you who have been following my daily tweets on twitter ('hi mum'), you'll already know who made the shortlist. For those who didn't, well this is your lucky day! Without further ado here is the final list from 24 to 1 and, as a bit of added value you even get a bit of commentary, plus a You Tube video, for numbers 5 to 1 - I spoil you sooooo much sometimes, don't I?!

Oh, and if you scroll down to the bottom of the page, I've got another little treat for you (please don't get too excited, it is a bit rubbish).

Anyway, here we go :

24. 'Budapest' by George Ezra

23. 'It starts and ends with you' by Suede

22. 'Carnival' by The Family Rain

21. 'High Road' by Cults

20. 'Get Well Soon' by Breton

19. 'Coast to Coast' by Waxahatchee

18. 'Keep in the Dark' by Temples

17. 'Wallow' by Coasts

16. 'Broken' by Jake Bugg

15. 'Pregnant Actress' by Soft Reeds

14. 'Blue Collar Jane' by The Strypes

13. 'Lost Generation' by Rizzle Kicks

12. 'This head I hold' by Electric Guest

11. 'Reflektor' by Arcade Fire

10. 'Where are we now?' by David Bowie

9. 'Get Lucky' by Daft Punk

8.'Late Night' by Foals

7. 'Dissolve Me' by Alt-J

6. 'Bros' by Wolf Alice


5.'Do I wanna know?' by Arctic Monkeys

One of the best songs from one of the albums of the year by one of the best bands. My favourite ever live act pretty much owned 2013, however, they only finished 5th in this list so it's definitely a case of 'must try harder' next year.

I'm sure you've heard the song already but you can never tire of it so here it is again :


4. 'Recover' by Chvrches

A song from another of my favourite albums of the year, Chvrches were a breath of fresh air this year and made me fall in love with electropop all over again. Their other songs 'Gun' and the re-released 'The Mother We Share' would have easily made this list if it hadn't been for my strict limiting of one song per band but 'Recover' won by a nose.

Here it is again for your listening pleasure :


3. 'My God is the Sun' by Queens of the Stone Age

QOTSA'S album didn't blow me away after a couple of listens and I really must go and re-visit it at some point, however, 'My God is the Sun' was instantly a classic in my opinion. Easily their best song since 'No one knows' and probably their best song ever. I will never tire of this one and here it is for you to listen to and get all excited about again as well :


2. 'Oh my Lord' by Steve Mason

The ex-Beta Band frontman's song was an early front runner for my song of the year and it didn't drop out of the Top 2 all year. It is absolutely brilliant and, although his album didn't make it into my Top 5 of the year, I can only see his solo career getting better and better from now on.

Have a listen below and fall in love with this beauty too :


1. 'Come Save Me' by Jagwar Ma

My favourite band of the year, no contest, and this is my favourite song from my favourite album. I saw them live at Xoyo in London earlier on in the year and it was one of my favourite gigs ever, it was like being 17 again in the early 90s. Just brilliant.

To be honest, it was probably a bit of a cop out choosing 'Come Save Me' as it was a re-release from last year but it's just a classic. 'The Throw' could easily have won it as well though.

If you haven't heard them yet, get involved now below, they are amazing :



So, that's it. Agree / disagree? Would love to hear about your favourite tracks too.

Thanks for reading. Before you go, I've put all of the songs into a Spotify playlist for you to listen to here - Yuletide 24 2013 (that's the treat I was talking about above, if you didn't realise. Like I said earlier, it is a bit rubbish).

Thanks for having me.

No comments:

Post a Comment