Saturday 14 December 2013

5 Bands to fall in love with in 2014

It's that time of year again where every music magazine, website and blog give their bands to watch tips for the following year.

On Hertford Soul though, it's not just brand new musicians that I like to shout about, I also like to raise my glass to those who might be one or two albums in and haven't quite had their lucky break yet.  Some of the bands below have appeared on other music blog / magazine lists this year as, I agree, they are brilliant.  But there are a couple of bands below whose time I believe has come and I'd like to share them with you in case you haven't heard them before.

So, without further ado, and in no particular order, here are 5 Bands for you to fall in love with in 2014 - and even if you don't fall in love with them, I'd be happy with a 'I've become quite fond of'...

1. By the Sea

By the Sea's self titled debut album was close to being in my top 5 of albums of 2013 until I realised it was released in 2012!  If you haven't heard them they are very shoegazey but with a hint of baggy.  I think a cross between Pale Saints and Stone Roses would be a good description.

I've heard their second album will be released next year, and hopefully a few more people will get to hear it.  In the meantime I would highly recommend you have a listen to 'By the Sea'.  Here's the song 'Eveline' from it.  It was originally a B-Side and if they keep producing them like this, we could have another compilation album like 'The Masterplan' on our hands one day.



2. Soft Reeds

I discovered Soft Reeds when I was putting a playlist together for the best sub-two minute songs of 2013 and I found the brilliant 'Nothing Changes'.  That's a different blog post I'm writing though so I won't go into that now.

What that song did though was make me want to discover more about the band and I found out about 'Blank City' which has become one of my favourite albums of 2013.  If you want an idea of who they sound like I would say they're a bit like the American version of Franz Ferdinand with a bit of Talking Heads thrown in for good measure.  However, if you don't like either of those bands I'd be doing Soft Reeds an injustice as they are excellent.  So why not have a listen for yourself, here's the song 'Pregnant Actress' from their second album 'Blank City'. This song also made it to No. 15 in my #Yuletide24 Songs of the Year.


3. Coasts

If you get a chance to see Coasts live, please do.  They are bloody amazing.  Every song is epic and they always leave you wanting more, that's why I'm very much looking forward to their debut album being released next year.

I'm going to write something now that might not impress many of you but *takes deep breath* they are featured on the second Made in Chelsea soundtrack that's just been released.  To put this into context, 3 other bands that feature on this soundtrack are - Haim, Chvrches and Deap Vally.  These bands have been critically acclaimed by music magazines and blogs throughout 2013 and, there's something else - Coasts are still unsigned!  I think that's pretty bloody good, isn't it?!!

Coasts also appeared in my #Yuletide24 Songs of the Year with 'Wallow' but instead I'm going to post the song 'Oceans' which appears on the particular soundtrack mentioned above.  Please listen before passing judgement.


4. The Family Rain

The Family Rain are 3 brothers from Bath who are, in my opinion, becoming the closest British band to perfecting the sound of The White Stripes / Black Keys from across the pond.

Again their song 'Carnival' appeared in my #Yuletide24 Songs of the Year and I'm really looking forward to hearing their debut album next year.  Oh, and before anyone pulls me up on it, The Family Rain appeared on the first 'Made in Chelsea' soundtrack!  Look, I promise I am not just recommending bands who have appeared on this! Although I will be recommending By the Sea and Soft Reeds to the Producers for the third CD.

Anyway, again, please have a listen first before making your mind up - here's 'Carnival' :


5. Wolf Alice

Last, but not least, are Wolf Alice who you've all probably heard of as a lot of blogs have already banged on about them over the last few weeks (and they are in the short list of the Blog Sound of 2014 and the BBC equivalent as well I think).

All the acclaim is rightly deserved as they are brilliant and their debut album next year should be a corker.  I shall therefore be leaving you with the brilliant 'Bros' which is one of my favourite songs of the year :


So, they're my tips and now it's over to you - which bands do you think you and other people will fall in love with next year?  Would be great to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for having me.

No comments:

Post a Comment